Date of appointment:
Post-doctoral fellow since 2009
BSc, HED, MMus (UP), DMus (NWU)
Organ & Methodology, History of Music
Concert organist, accompaniment
South African organ music, church music, composition
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
• Stephanus Zondagh
• Stefans Grové
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Dunstable — Motetten (Hilliard)
2. Masaaki Suzuki— Psalmen (Bach Collegium, Japan)
3. Jan Garbarek & Hilliard Ensemble
4. Grové — Dance Rhapsody (Pretoria)
5. Brahms — Vier ernst Gesänge (Quasthoff)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Concerts in Turku cathedral 2001, Eindhoven, 2012, Edmonton 2013, Schöne Mullerin (Wilhelm Theunissen).
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Een leven in brieven by Van Gogh
2. A Fine Balance by M R Mistry
3. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
4. The Kite Runner by K Hosseini
5. Siddhartha by H Hesse
“Al gaan ek deur ‘n dal van doodskaduwee, ek sal nie bang wees nie.”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Life of Pi
2. Out of Africa
3. Piaf la mome
4. Cinema Paradiso
5. Ein Eingel über Berlin
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Red wine, whisky
How do you relax?
Cycle with friends, swim, sculpture.
Family (spouse / children):
My house organ
Which places would you still like to visit?
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Bach — Actus Tragicus
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Teaching organ, discovering new music, good concerts.