Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
Higher Education Diploma (UJ)
Notable professional achievements:
Recorded “Appassionata” with Carel Henn (cello). The CD won the GMT prize for best classical album in 2004.
Current professional position / occupation:
Head of Music, Jeppe High School for Girls, Johannesburg
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Beethoven — Piano Concerto’s by Murray Perahia
2. Rachmaninoff — Piano Concerto’s by Krystian Zimerman
3. Tchaikovsky — Rococo Variations by Rostropovich
4. JS Bach — Solo Cello Suites by Yo-Yo Ma
5. Queen — Miracle
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Playing concerto’s with orchestras.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Women who run with the wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés
2. Lennon, the definitive biography by Ray Coleman
3. Bidspringkaan by André P Brink
4. Helen of Troy by Bettany Hughes
5. The Alchemist by Paul Coelho
“If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you”.
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Finding Neverland
2. The King’s Speech
3. Scent of a Woman
4. First Blood movies
5. Legends of the Fall
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
How do you relax?
Spending time at home with my dogs.
My partner, Michael.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Egypt, Russia and many more trips to China.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
Quinten Pendle (who is blind) riding my bicycle from the side entrance corridor, around the staircase at the main entrance and down the corridor towards the library!!