Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Classical singing, piano, violin, music history.
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
MMus in classical singing and theoretical research (thesis) at the Norwegian Academy of Music, Oslo, Norway.
Notable professional achievements:
Final Master concert at the Norwegian Academy of Music.
Current professional position / occupation:
Music teacher and performing classical musician in Pietermaritzburg.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Maurice Ravel — Chanson Madecasses
2. Jaako Mäntyjärvi — Canticum Calamitatis Maritimae
3. Edward Elgar — Cello Concerto in e minor
4. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov — Scheherazade
5. Bjørn Kruse — Trolldans
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Wow, there are so many!
• Being part of Kobie van Rensburg’s production of Monteverdi’s Madrigali guerrieri et amorosi in September 2009 and Acis & Galatea in October 2010.
• Receiving master classes from renowned Italian conductor, Romolo Gessi, and subsequently performing “In quelle trine morbide” from Puccini’s opera Manon Lescaut with orchestra accompaniment and Romolo Gessi conducting.
• A combined project between the master music students at The Norwegian Academy of Music and The National Art Gallery in Oslo. In this project the vital link between visual arts and music was reinforced … and the music students were challenged to create visual artworks as well!
• And, of course, my final master concert and the completion of my master thesis. You can read more about both here.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3. A Monser Calls by Patrick Ness
4. The Source by James A Michener
5. Frozen Music by Marika Cobbold
“It doesn’t hurt an artist to taste a bit of madness.” — Ayi Kwei Armah
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.” — Saint Augustine
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
2. The Breakfast Club (1985)
3. Her (2013)
4. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
5. The Graduate (1967)
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
Bones, Castle, My Family, The Big Bang Theory
Herbal teas and Ethiopian coffee/Dry red wine, preferably a Pinotage or Shiraz.
How do you relax?
Watching movies or series, reading books, cooking, travelling and listening to jazz music!
Family (spouse / children):
Which places would you still like to visit?
Which places would I NOT like to visit?!? Next on my list is Burma, India and Ireland.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
• The rehearsals and performances of a child-friendly production of Die Zauberflöte by Mozart in 2008 with classmates!
• Performing a hyper-modern and dark music piece called “Verbode vrugte” for a music history exam in 2008 with classmates!