Programme & Year:
BMus, 3rd year
Potchefstroom … local en lekker!
To become a professional singer, or to become a lecturer in music.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Anything by Beethoven (especially his 3rd, 7th and 9th symphonies)
2. Nobuo Uematsu — Tour de Japon
3. Mozart opera (especially Don Giovanni and Le Nozze di Figaro)
4. 30 Seconds to Mars
5. Good old school rock bands like Meat Loaf, AC/DC and Green Day
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• When I was 8, they wouldn’t let me sing in junior choir because my singing was too flat! My mother called the teacher and asked her to let me in because I loved singing so much. That’s what mums are for! Dankie Ma!
• When I was 17, I had to sing for a competition, but I caught a disastrous cold and lost my voice! I still went to sing for the competition (horribly!), but I decided to give them a show by acting out and dancing to the song. I won the competition’s award for best stage personality! Never give up!
• My first Musikhane-concert, where I was so happy and proud of my little students! Go marimbas!
• My MUSX222 blues concert. Jamming with my friends! What fun!
Top 5 must-read books:
1. River God by Wilbur Smith
2. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
3. The King’s General by Daphne Du Maurier
4. Lady in Waiting by Jackie Kendall
5. Kringe in ‘n Bos by Daleen Matthee
“If you ever struggle to open a bottle of champagne – my advice – hit it with a ship!”
“Difficulties become base notes of our life’s song, adding depth and beauty.”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Life is Beautiful
2. Immortal Beloved
4. Memoirs of a Geisha
5. Dances with Wolves
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
The Big Bang Theory, Frasier, Friends, Two Broke Girls, Will & Grace, anything on National Geographic
Sushi, biltong and Chris’ braaivleis.
Red wine, coffee.
How do you relax?
Let Wel and BMus keep me very busy, but when I do relax I like to go to the river and be with nature, hang out with my friends or lose myself in beautiful music. I also love losing myself in books.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Germany, Austria, Japan, Italy and Russia. (But I will always have a deep love for the Cape!)
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Georgie Girl (1960) by the Seekers.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
For me it is such a privilege to study music, it’s hard to pick favourite moments when you can be surrounded by the beauty of music all the time! Having singing lessons and pedagogy with dr. Viljoen or teaching marimba and making music with students at Musikhane would be highlights. Also, hanging out and practicing with Chris, Eljé, Gerdus and Mart in the Conservatory in the evenings.