Programme & Year:
BMus, 4th year
I would love to become a professional bassoonist and play in orchestras. There is no better feeling than playing alongside another bassoonist and making beautiful music.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Berlioz— Symphonie Fantastique
2. Mahler — Symphonies 2 & 5
3. Allan Stephenson — Concertino for two bassoons
4. Hummel — Bassoon Concerto in F major
5. Stravinsky — The Rite of Spring (Who can resist the beautiful bassoon solo in “The Adoration of the Earth”?)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
The very first time I had the privilege to walk out on stage with the Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra playing contra-bassoon in Mahler’s 5th symphony. The adrenalin rush you experience is something out of this world!
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
2. A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer
3. I Have Life by Marianne Thamm
4. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
5. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
• “Where words fail, music speaks.” — Hans Christian Andersen
• “Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.” — Martin Luther
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Hundred-Foot Journey
2. A Little Bit of Heaven
3. The Heat
4. 12 Years a Slave
5. Pearl Harbor (even if it is only to listen to the music)
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Downton Abbey, The Big Bang Theory
My mother’s food is exceptional! So anything she makes, I will have no problem devouring it!
Dry red wine and whiskey.
How do you relax?
I like going for a jog, but if the craving for coffee takes over I like spending time with my friends. Just having a cuppa and a good chat.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Italy, Austria and Spain.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Default Samsung ringtone? It’s always on silent, so it doesn’t really bother me.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
The feeling of accomplishment after a good lesson every week.