Programme & Year:
MMus, 1st year
Piano and Singing
Music education: Toddlers (run my own KiddiBeat franchise); Children (piano, singing, music literacy and musicianship); Adults (piano, singing, musicianship, etc.) Big dream = lecturing. And performing whenever I get the chance, especially new music.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Bach — Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue in d minor, BWV903
2. Chopin — Nocturne, Op. 48 No. 2
3. Saariaho — Die Aussicht
4. Saint-Saëns — Carnival of the Animals
5. Charl du Plessis Trio’s version of Clair de Lune
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
The BMus course as a whole was a very exciting, enjoyable and informative musical experience. The Dalcroze workshops I attended were very memorable. The numerous concerts attended at the Conserve all were also very memorable. Traveling with the New Music Ensemble was terrific. My favourite musical experiences however are when young children are attending and of those I have countless memories.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Holy Bible (I know it is in fact a library, not a single book, but it is worth the read!)
2. A well-written biography of Chopin (He had an interesting life.)
3. Undedected by Dee Henderson (She is a writer of Christian novels about people with interesting careers — such as the captain of a submarine in this case.)
4. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
5. Good Vibrations — The physics of music by Barry Parker
• “If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.” — Will Rogers
• “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign? ” — Albert Einstein
• “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” — Benjamin Franklin
• “Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.” — Michael Levine
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Pianist
2. The Notebook
3. Letters to God / My Sister’s Keeper
4. The Ultimate Gift
5. New Hope
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Dr Phil, The Mentalist, Arrow
Mom’s cooking — rice with gravy, baked potatoes, pot-roast chicken.
Granadilla twist, 100% fruit juice, red grapetizer.
How do you relax?
I like going for long brisk walks. I love reading, or watching youtube videos. Photography. (I guess I need more hobbies, and should probably be more sociable 🙂 ).
Which places would you still like to visit?
Cape Town, New Zealand. I would pretty much like to travel the world since I haven’t travelled much yet.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
It’s mostly on silent, but it sounds like an old telephone when it does ring loudly.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
The moments after a concert, whether I performed or not, but especially if I performed.