Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Piano / Violin (main subjects were Music History and Pedagogy)
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Notable professional achievements:
• Several music programmes for radio.
• Adjudicator for the Oude Meester Choral Festivals.
• Adjudicator for Ghoema Awards.
Current professional position / occupation:
Music director / compiler for RSG.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Karl Jenkins — Motet
2. Beethoven — Piano Concerto No. 5 & Schumann — Fantasie, Op. 17 by Li Yundi
3. James Levine live at Carnegie Hall with the MET Orchestra
4. The Piano Guys (both CDs)
5. Karl Jenkins — The Peacemakers
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Making music with my children.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Klara by Mariëlle le Roux
2. Die Naamloses by Mariëlle le Roux
3. Chocolat by Joanne Harris
4. Franse briewe by Marita van der Vyfer
5. ‘n Engel in my huis by Riana Scheepers
“Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.” — Gene Simmons
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. As it is in heaven
3. Charlotte Gray
4. The Notebook
It changes; nothing specifically.
How do you relax?
Being with my husband and children.
Family (spouse / children):
Marius, my husband, and our two children, Mart-Leen (11) and Cara (7).
Which places would you still like to visit?
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
I climbed out of the window in lecture hall 122 [before burglar bars had been installed] to see what the students were doing at the swimming pool. My class mates closed the window as Prof Fanie Jooste entered and started lecturing. I was stranded outside on the window sill …