Date of appointment:
1 February 2014
Music Education, Williams syndrome and musical experiences, special needs music education
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
Liesl van der Merwe, Daniel Levitin, Ursula Bellugi
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Ed Sheeran — I see fire
2. One Republic — I lived
3. Pentatonix — Run to you
4. Passenger — Riding to New York
5. Mozart — Requiem
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
1. My first Dalcroze workshop.
2. My first music theory class with Prof Hannes Taljaard in my first year.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Harry Potter by JK Rowling
2. The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffrey Deaver
3. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
4. 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs
5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
• “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” — Steve Jobs
• “Blessed are the gypsies, the makers of music, the artists, writers, dreamers of dreams, wanderers and vagabonds, children and misfits: For they teach us to see the world through beautiful eyes.”
• “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?” — Captain Jack Sparrow
• “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” — Benjamin Franklin
• “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance and care.” — Marvin J Ashton
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. One flew over the cuckoo’s nest
4. Lord of the Rings
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
The Big Bang Theory, Masterchef Australia
How do you relax?
Which places would you still like to visit?
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Pentatonix — Save the world_Don’t you worry child mashup
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
• Listening to the latest “news update” from Oom George.
• Symposium/Colloquium sessions.