Curriculum & Year:
BMus, 4th year
Piano and Composition
To become a Music Theory lecturer or composer-in-residence at a university.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Mahler — Symphony No. 6
2. Beethoven — Piano Sonata, Op. 28
3. Webern — Fünf Sätze für Streichquartet, Op. 5
4. Smetana — Piano Trio No. 1, Op. 15
5. Mumford and Sons
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
When my piano piece (Interlaken) was performed at the New Music Indaba in Durban. Also, to have the privilege of performing with the Yale University Wind Band.
Top 4 must-read books:
1. Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks
2. Mein Leben by Richard Wagner
3. A Life in Music by Daniel Barenboim
4. Music and Memory by Bob Snyder
• “Just do it. Keep on going.”
• “Well, gentlemen, we might as well take our fiddles and break them across our knees.” — Fritz Kreisler
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Book Thief
2. The Pianist
3. A Room with a View
4. The Red Violin
5. Immortal Beloved
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Spaghetti Bolognaise (the way my mom makes it).
Double shot Malibu and Appletizer.
How do you relax?
Working out at the gym always does wonders.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Vienna, Venice, New York.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
The early morning aural training classes with Ms Dirkie Nell — it always comes with a few good laughs.