Curriculum & Year:
BMus, 4th year
Professional goals are to become a lecturer in Dalcroze Eurhythmics and to combine Eurhythmics with instrumental teaching.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Debussy — Piano Trio in G major
2. Prokofiev — 5 Mélodies
3. JS Bach — Three-Part Invention in g minor
4. Coldplay — Green Eyes
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers — Factory of Faith
(And an Arctic Monkeys playlist to keep me awake while doing assignments.)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• One of my recent personal musical experiences that is most memorable was working with the South African National Youth Orchestra and the conductor, Matheu Kieswetter, on the Full Moon Production where we collaborated with the Vuyani Dance Company. It was amazing to work with people that are so passionate about making music!
• When I was on the exchange programme to Sweden, the Eurhythmics winter concert was also very memorable. We performed a broom choreography and the Somerkersfees Christmas carol. Also performing with the symphony orchestra Walton’s first symphony was great!
• Nothing beats seeing great musicians live. I had the opportunity to see some amazing concerts!
Top 3 must-read books:
1. The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey
2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
3. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
“So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” — from The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
“For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half known life.” – from Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Hours (amazing Phillip Glass soundtrack)
2. Howl’s Moving Castle
3. Babette’s Feast
4. Broken Circle Breakdown
5. Pan’s Labyrinth
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Fringe & Community. Currently stuck on House of Cards.
Mom’s mac and cheese and a good salad!
Dry Lemon (with or without gin)
How do you relax?
Watch series and listen to music.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Vienna, London, Paris … anywhere is okay with me!
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Fringe theme song
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Those rare moments when you play and everything just slips away and you are just focused on the music.