Tangos & jazz arrangements by Potch Trio — 23 August 2016
The celebrated Potch Trio, with violinist Piet Koornhof, pianist Tinus Botha, and cellist Human Coetzee, as well as guest artist Alida Bester (double bass), will perform in the annual Dean’s Concert on Tuesday 23 August 2016 at 19:30 in the Conservatory Hall, Potchefstroom.
Well-known for their imaginative programming, the trio will continue to surprise this year by blurring the boundaries altogether between classical, jazz and popular music. They will be mesmerizing the audience with the Four Seasons by Argentinian tango composer, Astor Piazzolla, and with works by Claude Bolling, Jerome Kern and Cameron Wilson, amongst others. Some additional levity will be provided by a quick overview of Western music, with apologies to Henry Mancini.
Tickets at R75/R50 are available at the Conservatory in Thabo Mbeki Drive (tel. 018-299-1692), PUK Arts in the Heimat Building (F9) on the university campus (tel. 018-299-2844), Protea Bookshop on the Bult (tel. 018-297-1583), online at www.artema.co.za and www.facebook.com/NWU.Music, or 30 minutes before the concert at the box office.
1. Cameron Wilson — A Brief History of Western Music (with apologies to Henry Mancini)
2. Claude Bolling — Sentimentale (from Suite for Flute and Jazz Trio)
3. Astor Piazzolla — Four Seasons
4. Cameron Wilson (arr.) — Sweet Georgia Brown
5. Jay Ungar (arr. Cameron Wilson) — Ashokan Farewell
6. Jerome Kern (arr. Cameron Wilson) — The Way You Look Tonight
7. Cameron Wilson — Milonga Nocturna
8. Claude Bolling — Veloce (from Suite for Flute and Jazz Trio)