Knowing Me, Knowing You — Sonja Cruywagen [student]
Programme & Year:
PhD in Music Education
To finish my doctoral thesis as soon as possible!
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Beethoven — Violin Concerto
2. JS Bach — Toccata & Fugue in d minor performed by Jacques Loussier
3. Shaun Dave with Rita Conolly — Ripples in the rock pools
4. Kathleen Battle — Hush
5. Rebecca Törnqvist — Cuckoo
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
As a teenager, my first opera seen on stage in the Ernst Oppenheimer Theatre, Welkom — Rigoletto.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Wild Swans by Jung Chang
2. A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
5. The hundred-year-old man who climbed out the window and disappeared by Jona Jonasson
“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.” — Wernher von Braun
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Monsoon Wedding — Bollywood movie
2. The Sea Inside — based on a real-life story
3. Merchant of Venice — romantic drama (2004)
4. The hundred-foot journey — comedy-drama
5. Kung Fu Hustle — Chinese action comedy martial arts film
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
So you think you can dance USA
Good food enjoyed with friends.
How do you relax?
Which places would you still like to visit?
Turkey, Prague, Florence, Paris, barging holiday in France, walking one of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage routes.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Doing Eurythmics in Oppibib.