Knowing Me, Knowing You — Prof Daleen Kruger
Date of appointment:
1 January 1995
BMus, Hons BMus, HED, MMus (PUCHE), DMus (UP), Diploma in Church Music, UNISA Performer’s and Teacher’s Licenciates (organ).
Music history, organ performance and methodology, church music, advisor for postgraduate studies.
Organ and clavichord.
Interpretation of organ works.
Development of South African church music.
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
Jean-Claude Zehnder (Basel, Switzerland)
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Elgar — String Quartet in e minor, Opus 83
2. Arvo Pärt — Fratres and Spiegel im Spiegel
3. JD Zelenka — Trio Sonatas
4. John Tavener — Ikon of light (the whole CD)
5. Mendelssohn — Songs without words
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Live performance of Wagner’s Wesendonck Lieder with orchestra by Jessye Norman in Basel, Switzerland.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Agaat by Marlene van Niekerk
2. ‘n Ander Land by Karel Schoeman
3. Die swye van Mario Salviati by Etienne van Heerden
4. The pillars of the earth by Ken Follett
5. Die groot verlange (biography of Eugéne Marais) by Leon Rousseau
“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” — Martin Luther
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Babette’s Feast
2. Out of Africa
3. Fried Green Tomatoes
4. A river runs through it
5. Dances with Wolves
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
NCIS, Master Chef, Inspector Morse, Amazing Race, Who wants to be a millionaire
Italian: cannelloni with spinach and feta.
Coffee, tea and whiskey.
How do you relax?
Reading, listening to music, watching TV and DVDs, cooking and gardening.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Egypt, Kenya, Namibia, Namaqualand and West Coast.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
I don’t know!
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Holidays (just joking!)