Knowing Me, Knowing You — Ms Lhente-Mari Pitout (née Grimbeek) [alumnus]
Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
Notable professional achievements:
• Member of UNESCO Ambassador of Goodwill
• World Youth Choir Board Member
• Artistic Director at UP Arts
• Artistic Director of South Africa Youth Music & Arts Development Foundation (SAY MAD)
Current professional position / occupation:
• Artistic Director — UP Youth Choir
• Choral Conductor — St. Albans College and Pretoria Boys High School
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Ola Gjeilo — O Magnum Misterium “Serenity”
2. Pawel Lukaszewski — Two lenten motets
3. Chopin — Second Piano Concerto, second movement, performed by Lang Lang
4. The Real Group — Count Basie Medley
5. Adrian Johnston — Becoming Jane (soundtrack)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• Performing with the World Youth Choir (as singer) — Concerto for Choir by Alfred Schnittke.
• Performing with the University of Pretoria Youth Choir (as conductor) — Sunrise Mass for choir and orchestra.
• Winning three Gold Medals at the Choir Games in Latvia, Riga 2014.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
2. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
3. Why Am I So Nervous by Alan Solomon
4. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brönte
• “It’s not what the world holds for you, but what you bring to it.” — Kevin Sullivan
• “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Any Pedro Almodovar movie — Volver, Talk to Her
2. Any Woody Allen movie — To Rome With Love, Midnight in Paris
3. Il Postino
4. House of the Spirits — Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Antonio Banderes, Jeremy Irons
5. The Untouchables
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
The Good Wife and Friends
Sushi and South African traditional Sunday lunch
Coffee and red wine
How do you relax?
Cooking and spending time with my three dogs
Family (spouse / children):
Husband, Reynhardt Pitout
Which places would you still like to visit?
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
The unique characters that I met — some of the most eccentric people in the world.