Knowing Me, Knowing You — Ms Carika du Preez [alumna]
Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Piano / Music and Maths Education.
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
BAMus, PGCE, Honours BAMus.
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
Department of Education CAPS training.
Notable professional achievements:
100% pass rate and about 80 distinctions of four Matric groups in Mathematical Literacy Grade 12.
Current professional position / occupation:
Grade 10-12 Mathematical Literacy teacher at Afrikaans Hoër Meisieskool (Pretoria) & Orchestra teacher for the Affie Konsertorkes (doing admin and discipline).
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Franck — Violin Sonata, specifically the 4th movement: Allegretto poco mosso
2. Shostakovich — Piano Concerto Nr 2 in F major, Op. 102
3. Yellow River Piano Concerto (arranged through a collaboration between musicians and based on the cantata by Xian Xinghai)
4. I dreamed a dream, Susan Boyle audition
5. Frozen soundtrack (Yes, I know!)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
The end of the year concert of the State Theatre Ballet School, where I played a duet with the State Theatre Orchestra pianist (me a grade 7 child and he a professional!!)
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Juffrou van Skurwekop by Sarah du Pisanie
2. All Susanna M. Lingua books
3. All Dina Botha books
4. All Elsa Winckler books
5. All Wilna Adriaanse books
“You can do it!”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Sound of Music
2. Music of the Heart
3. Song from the Heart
4. Mama Mia
5. You’ve got mail
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
Grey’s Anatomy, JAG, NCIS.
Vanilla Cappuccino at Rossini’s (Brooklyn).
How do you relax?
Reading and watching series.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Hungary, Austria, Switzerland.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
Funniest: The annual PDQ Bach performance at Potchpourri.
Fondest: The “last-class-of-the-semester-coffee-class”.