Knowing Me, Knowing You — Kobus Venter [student]
Programme & Year:
BMus, 4th year
Singing, Choral Conducting
To be an eternal student of the arts by studying and practising my craft to best of my ability. To be a leader in the choral community by enriching people’s lives through choral singing.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Bach — Choral Motets
2. Mozart — Requiem
3. Tchaikovsky — Violin Concerto in D major
4. Masterpiece as sung by the King’s Singers
5. A cappella music performed by the groups: King’s Singers, Swingle Singers, The Real Group, Rajaton, Anuna and The Pentatonix
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• Performing the Mozart Requiem with the NWU-PUK Choir under the baton of Awie van Wyk (Aardklop, 2006).
• Touring abroad with the University Choir 2008, 2011 and especially 2014.
• Conducting the NWU-PUK Choir and Symphony orchestra performing the South African première of Dan Forrest’s Requiem for the living (Aardklop, 2014).
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Harry Potter
2. Anything by Dan Brown
3. Lord of the Flies
4. The Musician’s Soul
5. I am also a Jeremy Clarkson fan.
Top 5 must-see movies:
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Patch Adams
4. The Sound of Music
5. Les Concert
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Top Gear, Boston Legal, Frasier, Friends.
Pizza and Pasta.
Weissbier, white wine and a well-matured red wine.
How do you relax?
Reading, laying on the beach.
Which places would you still like to visit?
America, India, Australia, China, etc. etc. etc.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
That feeling you get after a good singing lesson.