Knowing Me, Knowing You — Ellré de Kock [student]
Programme & Year:
MMus in Musicology
Cello & Voice
Performing cellist and singer. Songwriter, arranger and composer. Music entrepreneur. Lecturing on Music Business and Career Guidance.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Ludovico Einaudi — Nuvole Bianche
2. Cinematic Orchestra — Arrival of the birds & Transformation
3. Feather theme from the film Forest Gump
4. 2 Cellos — Smooth Criminal
5. The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley for Nintendo’s 25th Anniversary
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Stuyding BMus. Orchestral playing, as cellist, in UPSO, PSO and SANYO. Founding a music business called Starlight Musicians, and the countless performances we have had over the years, including performing at a book launch with former President Thabo Mbeki as speaker. Traveling to Austria for a colourstring course in 2011. Going on exchange to Finland for 5 months last year, 2013, playing in Finnish orchestra and ensembles, singing in choir and traveling to Sweden, Russia, Lapland and Norway, exploring Finnish and other world cultures.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Bible (one of a kind)
2. Keep your love on by Danny Silk
3. Love Languages by Gary Chapman
4. Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster
5. A voice in the wind, Echo in the Darkness and As sure as the dawn series by Francine Rivers
I adore quotes by Albert Einstein, to mention a few:
• “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
• “Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
• “You never fail until you stop trying.”
• “Out of clutter, find simplicity.”
• “Nothing happens until something moves.”
• “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.”
• “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The New World
2. The Book Thief
3. The Hobbit
5. August Rush
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
The animated Nickelodeon series Avatar – The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra, and the Pride and Prejudice BBC series.
Breakfast at La Vie Lente and pizza at Pizza e Vino, cheese cake or chocolate cake at Rosemary’s, but most definitely top of the list is my Mom’s food.
Water, Nutribullet homemade smoothies & hot chocolate made with lint dark chocolate and hot frothed milk.
How do you relax?
Drinking rooibos tea while staring out a window at trees, birds or skies. Doing exercise, sleep or watching a movie. Going some place out in nature.
Which places would you still like to visit?
I’d like to go to New Zealand to visit a friend and her family who relocated there. In the same trip I would also like to go to Australia and visit the major cities like Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. I would also like to visit family in the UK and then travel to surrounding countries like Ireland. Sweden and Norway are also on the list of desired destinations.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Stock standard iPhone tone called Waves.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
The day I started my MMus degree with School of Music, definitely the best decision. Everytime I see my supervisor. I enjoy the days we have MMus group gatherings, they are inspirational, thought-provoking and helpful.