Knowing Me, Knowing You — Dr Tinus Botha
Date of appointment:
1 January 2012
Piano, Piano Methodology & Music Theory
Solo piano literature, Lieder accompaniment, chamber music with piano
Analysis for performance, music performance research
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
• Prof Joseph Stanford (University of Pretoria)
• José Feghali (Texas Christian University)
• Prof Harold Martina (Texas Christian University)
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Mozart — Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen by Florence Foster Jenkins — deliciously bad singing
2. Verdi — Caro Nome by Natalia de Andrade — horrific, ear-destroying, hilarious singing
3. Anything that Maria Joao Pires recorded — really wonderful playing
4. Gluck-Sgambati — Dance of the Blessed Spirits by Nelson Freire — absolutely stunningly ethereal playing
5. Die Briels — Moenie vir Pappie nog sjerrie verkoop nie — a definite must-hear, for many different reasons (not to mention the glaringly faulty preposition in the title)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Too many to mention, but performing as soloist with orchestra is always immensely exciting and rewarding. The opportunity to study with world-class mentors has been a particular privilege which has shaped my musical growth and changed my way of thinking about music.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Hitch-hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
2. The Music Lovers by Catherine Bowen
3. The Art of Piano Playing by Heinrich Neuhaus
4. The Great Pianists by Harold Schoenberg
5. Louoond by Jeanne Goosen
One of the less serious, but more amusing ones:
“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I’ve never tried before.” — Mae West
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Sheltering Sky
2. Fried Green Tomatoes
3. Madame Sousatzka
4. Any film by Pedro Almodovar
5. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
The Golden Girls, Will & Grace, Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, Absolutely Fabulous
Mediterranean cuisine, especially Greek
As much coffee as possible (dark roast, black and bitter)
How do you relax?
Walking my two Yorkshire terriers, cooking, RPG gaming
Which places would you still like to visit?
The Greek Islands, Thailand, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro. And Mars, after colonisation.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Schubert/Liszt — Erlkönig, performed by Murray Perahia.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Teaching dedicated, hardworking piano students, followed closely by the start of swimming season in early spring.