Knowing Me, Knowing You — Dr Mignon van Vreden
Date of appointment:
1 January 2015
BMus (2002), Honns BMus cum laude (2003), MMus cum laude (2006) — Stellenbosch University
PhD (2014) — North-West University
• Integrating music in preschool teaching
• Teaching music without music training to children
• Music and the well-being of children
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
Antoinette Theron, Ria Smit, Hetta Potgieter, Liesl van der Merwe
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Original soundtrack from the film ONCE
2. The Piano Guys (hear and see)
3. Shostakovich — Piano Concerto No. 1 in c minor
4. Chopin — Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 21
5. The Parlotones
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• The Four Schools Concerts at the end of each year in Pretoria where I sang in the choir.
• Attending a live concert by Pascal Rogé in Australia.
• Listening to the New Zealand Philharmonic Orchestra in Wellington, New Zealand.
• School concerts as spectator and/or accompanist where children are singing and enjoying every moment.
• Attending an Amanda Strydom concert at an intimate restaurant in Hermanus with my husband and my late grandmother.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison
2. The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer
3. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
4. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
5. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Top 5 must-see movies:
2. City of Angels
3. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
4. As it is in Heaven
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
White Collar, Revenge, Downton Abbey, Nashville, The Good Wife, Modern Family, Suits, Homeland
Fresh seafood with a view of the ocean.
Water and Coffee
How do you relax?
By breathing in … and out … in the midst of everything or anything.
Family (spouse / children):
Four boys: Joshua and Lukas (6), Simeon (4), Benyah (1)
Which places would you still like to visit?
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
When someone smiles and I am able to share in the joy of that moment.