Knowing Me, Knowing You — Dr Frelét de Villiers (née Fourie) [alumnus]
Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Piano, postgraduate supervision, psychology & music, piano methodology, research methodology, Delphi-method, rudiments of theory.
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
BMus, Honours BMus, MMus, all with distinction.
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
PhD (Music) — University of the Free State
Notable professional achievements:
• Articles published in accredited journals.
• Book chapter submitted for international publication.
• Development of an app for beginner music tuition.
• Guess presenter at technology and education conferences.
• UNISA examiner
• External examiner for tertiary institutions.
Current professional position / occupation:
Lecturer at the Odeion School of Music, UFS.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Ravel — Piano Concerto in G major
2. Brahms — Piano Quintet, Op. 34
3. Rachmaninoff — Etudes Tableaux
4. Schumann — Carnival
5. Chopin — Ballade No. 1
(many more I’d want to list!)
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Wow, there are so many!
• My performances with the Natal Philharmonic Orchestra in Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
• Finalist in Oude Meester piano competition in Stellenbosch.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
2. Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer
3. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham
4. Brain by Robin Cook
5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
It is very cliché, but still is a quote I live by every day: Carpe Diem! So – don’t live each day as if it is the first day of the rest of your life, live each day as if it is the last …
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Bridges of Madison County
3. As good as it gets
5. Christmas with the Cranks
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
The Blacklist, CSI Miami, The Mentalist, Revenge, 24, Suits, The Good Wife
Ribs & chips and salad
Red wine — Spier Merlot
How do you relax?
I totally relax in nature at a place like Tsitsikamma National Park, but when at home I relax watching movies/series with my kids.
I have two wonderful children: Lizmari (Matric) and Wynand (Grade 10).
Which places would you still like to visit?
I would love to go to the Maldives or any place in Europe — especially Austria.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
• My funniest memories are the classes of Juf Dirkie Nell with her long hair and her very peculiar way of describing aspects of aural training.
• My fondest memories are of Juf Martie Koornhof with her little dog Sasha, always at her side and attending all the lessons!
• And my most memorable moments were of course each and every single piano lesson with Albie van Schalkwyk. His wisdom, charisma, knowledge and motivation were just astonishing.