Knowing Me, Knowing You — Donald Nqweba [student]
Programme & Year:
Diploma in Music, 3rd year
To become a professional singer and choral conductor.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Scherza infida — Handel, sung by Ian Bostridge
2. Nguwe — Vusi Nova
3. Whisper of Angels — Amici Forever
4. Enigma Variations: Nimrod — Elgar
5. Before — The Soil
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• My first singing lesson.
• Singing Haydn’s Creation with the Conservatory Choir in the School of Music and in Pretoria.
• Singing in the 2013 Old Mutual National Choir Festival Competitions in Durban with the NWU Serenaders.
• Singing in the campus talent festival with Puk Amici last year.
• Travelling and singing outside Potchefstroom with my fellow colleagues — Puk Amici.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Capitalist Nigga by Chika Onyeani
2. Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahnemun
3. The purpose driven life by Rick Warren
4. The ten commandments of working in a hostile environment by TD Jakes
5. Destined to Reign by Joseph Prince
“Don’t only practice your art, but face your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the divine.” — Ludwig van Beethoven
“Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.” — Ludwig van Beethoven
“If the mind of man can believe, the mind of man can achieve.” — Napoleon Hill
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. August Rush
2. The Pursuit of Happiness
3. I am Legend
4. Drum Line
5. Tyler Perry’s Temptations
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
Skeem Sam, Muvhango, Igqumbho yeminyanya, Ityala lama wele, Velaphi, Emzini wezinsizwa, My wife and Kids.
Meat, Tripe, Umgqusho (known as samp and beans), Vegetables and Pap.
Juice and soft drinks.
How do you relax?
Listening to music, singing, reading books, visiting friends and spending a lot of time with my family, and watching operas.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Cape Town, Italy, New Orleans, Australia and Paris.
What is the ringtone on your cell phone?
Mfaz’ omnyama – Ngisebenzile mama
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Every day of my singing lesson.