Knowing Me, Knowing You — Michelle Surmon [student]
Programme & Year:
BA Music & Society, 3rd year
Piano, and guitar for fun.
I would like to do my honours in Forensic Linguistics.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Hillsong United — Mountain
2. R. City — Locked Away
3. Any of Hans Zimmer’s compositions
4. Brooke Fraser — Magical Machine
5. Nathan Sykes — Over and Over Again
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
I watched a DVD of Andre Rieu’s orchestra perform “Memory” as well as “African Dream”. Also watching Hillsong United perform live in SA and being able to worship Jesus with my favourite Christian band was my favourite memory.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Bible: It will change your life forever, and you always read something new each time.
2. O’Malley Series by Dee Henderson
3. Vanished by Irene Hannon
4. Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury
5. Kidnapped by Dee Henderson
• “It’s ok to be afraid, it means you’re about to be extremely brave.”
• “Remember who you were before the world told you who to become.”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. White House Down
2. The Sahara
3. Step Up — any of them
4. Ice Age — all of them
5. Fast and Furious
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
The Mentalist, NCIS and NCIS LA.
My mom’s Macaroni Cheese, and my dad and mom’s Braai are the very best! And pancakes on rainy days!
Ice Tea: Pineapple, Coffee, Super M, Grapetiser.
How do you relax?
I love to swim, jog, watch series, paint and chill with friends.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Hawaii, New Zealand, Los Angeles, London, and Tanzania.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
When my class mates and I chat and laugh about everything just before class begins.