Knowing Me, Knowing You — Ms Catrien Wentink
Date of appointment:
1 February 2016
BMus, MMus, PGCE, UNISA performance licentiate in two pianos and Royals Schools solo piano performance licentiate.
I am teaching music theory for the DM, BA and BMus students.
Piano performance — I am mostly performing as an accompanist and enjoy ensemble playing the most.
My current research interests is in Dalcroze Eurhythmics and performance.
Who are/were your professional mentors/inspiration?
Dr Truida van der Walt and Prof Hannes Taljaard were my teachers when I was a student and they still are teachers and mentors to me today. More recently Dr Liesl van der Merwe became a great mentor and inspiration to me regarding my research.
Top 5 must-hear music:
There are too many to list, but I will try.
1. Any work by Brahms (especially his cello sonatas, violin sonatas and Intermezzi for piano)
2. The four Chopin ballades
3. Beethoven — Piano Concerto’s Nos. 4 and 5
4. Rachmaninoff — Piano Concerto’s Nos. 2 and 3
5. Queen — Bohemian Rhapsody
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• I was invited to attend a Piano Summer School at the Loyola University in New Orleans in my final year of study. This was a wonderful opportunity and learning experience for me.
• My semester study in the USA at Youngstown State University was a wonderful experience and taught me a lot.
• More recently I attended the International Dalcroze Conference in Vienna and the city and conference are definitely highlights in my music career.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Playing music with the whole body: Eurhythmics and Motor Development by Eva Nivbrand Wedin
2. Hearing in Time by Justin London (I read this book as part of my Master’s research and it was very insightful to me.)
Lighter literature that I enjoyed a lot:
3. Kringe in ‘n bos by Daleen Mathee
4. Tussen stasies by Irma Joubert
5. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
• “Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value.” — Albert Einstein
• “The greatest gift an artist can give to music, is to give it life.” — Pablo Casals
• On a lighter note, William Golding said: “I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men, they are far superior and always have been.”
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Life is beautiful
2. As it is in heaven
4. Immortal beloved
5. Star Wars (all the movies)
Which television shows can you watch over and over again?
I love watching reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race. Some of my other favourite shows are Dexter, Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory and Friends.
Anything sweet, especially Bubbly chocolate and pink Fizzers.
Normal English tea with lots of sugar.
How do you relax?
I used to relax with a good movie or a book, but with kids you do not get a lot of time for that anymore, so nowadays I like to relax in the evening by taking a warm bath and watching some television.
Husband: Gideon Wentink (We met in the university choir.)
Children: Two boys, Barend is 2½ years old and Pieter is 4 months.
Which places would you still like to visit?
There are so many places I would still like to visit. Some on the top of my list are Athens in Greece, Iceland, Spain, Scotland, Russia, any country in South America, and the Grand Canyon.
What is your favourite moment of the day/week/year at the Conservatory?
Some of my favourite moments at the Conserve are during the Dalcroze class every Thursday morning, and the student concerts. I also enjoy the Potchpourri concert each year.