Caroline Oltmanns ~ piano
Tuesday 14 May 2019
Conservatory Hall • 19:30
Autumn is in full swing, with cooler temperatures, the last of the summer rain, and mellow and earthy colours in abundance. And while the wind is blowing the leaves from the trees, a shimmering piano recital mid-May will gently usher you through the turning of the seasons.
On her fifth visit to Potchefstroom, American pianist Caroline Oltmanns will delve into the representation of the wind in classical music for her concert on Tuesday 14 May at 19:30 in the Conservatory Hall. Featuring original compositions for piano, from the Baroque to contemporary works, the wind will be depicted in all its facets, from little windmills and night winds to a violent storm.
As an International Steinway Artist, Caroline Oltmanns’ impeccable musical phrasing, combined with an engaging stage presence, attract audiences both in the USA and abroad. She has already recorded six solo CDs, with a seventh expected later this year, and she was featured in the documentary series Living the Classical Life.
Grab this opportunity to be dazzled by her “refined, crystalline playing and charismatic persona” (Pianist Magazine) and come enjoy the “uninhibited lyricism” (Cleveland Classical) of this remarkable musician.
Tickets for this exciting piano recital at R100/R70 are available at the Conservatory in Thabo Mbeki Drive (tel. 018 299-1692), PUK Arts in the Heimat Building (F9) on the university campus (tel. 018 299-2844), Protea Bookshop on the Bult (tel. 018 297-1583), online at www.artema.co.za, or 30 minutes before the concert at the box office.
- François Couperin — Les Petits Moulins à Vent (The little windmills)
- Leoš Janácek — Ein verwehtes Blatt (A Blown Away Leaf)
- Ludwig van Beethoven — Sonata in d minor, Op. 31 Nr. 2 Tempest
- Felix Mendelssohn — Leicht und luftig (from: 7 Charakterstücke, Op. 7)
- James Wilding — The Black Wind Came in the Morning
- Charles T. Griffes — The Night Winds (from: 3 Tone-Pictures, Op. 5)
- Claude Debussy — Bruyères (Heathers)
— Le Vent dans la Plaine (The Wind in the Plain)
— Voiles (Sails/Veils)
— Les Sons et les Parfums tournent dans l’Air du Soir (The sounds and fragrances swirl through the evening air)
— Ce qu’a vu le Vent d’Ouest (What the West Wind Saw)
- Franz Liszt — Erlkönig (from: 12 Lieder von Franz Schubert, S.558)
— Orage (Storm) (from: Années de pèlerinage, Première année: Suisse