Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
BMus / HonnsBMus / HED.
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
MMus (University of Olso)
DMus (NMMU/Norwegian State Academy of Music) in Choral Conducting
Notable professional achievements:
• Worked (after PU for CHE) as conductor at Drakensberg Boys´ Choir School, and then as Senior Lecturer and Head of Choral Conducting and Music Education at Stellenbosch University.
• Was on the Board of the IFCM (International Federation for Choral Music) and currently board member of the World Youth Choir and on the Administrative Committee for the next World Symposium on Choral Music in Barcelona in 2017.
Current professional position / occupation:
Cantor (Church Musician) — Steinkjer, Norway. Also freelance conductor of two other choirs.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Terje Bjørklund — Magnificat (any good recording)
2. Nordic Voices (CD) — Djånki Don (2008)
3. Agustín Barrios Mangoré — Una limosna por el amor de Dios (any good guitarist)
4. Bach — Piano Concertos (David Fray & Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen)
5. Sting — The Last Ship (CD)
6. Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny — Beyond the Missouri Sky
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• The only recording my late wife, Marinda Snyman, made. It was her only solo CD (organ), and I directed it.
• Conducting Carmina Burana with the Cape Town Philharmonic in Kirstenbosch (2009).
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Barrier of Spears: Drama of the Drakensberg by R.O. Pears
2. Anam Cara by John O’Donohue
3. Mal en Ander Stories by André P. Brink
4. The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel
5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
“Study Bach, there you will find everything.” — Johannes Brahms
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring (2003)
2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
3. Schindler’s List (1993)
4. Jean De Florette (1986) & Manon Des Sources (1986)
5. Mot naturen (2014)
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
Nordic Winter Sports or programmes on the Drakensberg Mountains.
Micro Brewery Beer from Inderøy in Norway.
How do you relax?
Practise to ski in Norway, or visit the Karoo or Kalahari in Southern Africa.
Just many good friends.
Which places would you still like to visit?
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
• Juffrou Martha (the librarian) joining in with our soccer game with a bunch of keys in the portal just outside the library.
• The choir rehearsals in the small organ hall.