Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
BMus, Honours degree in Psychology, PGCE.
Current professional position / occupation:
Music teacher at a Catholic girls’ school — Holy Rosary in Johannesburg. I teach class music from Grade 1-7. In the afternoons I teach piano.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Brahms — Violin Concerto in D, Op. 77
2. Chopin — Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53
3. Saint-Saëns — Piano Concerto No. 2 in g minor, Op. 22
4. Delibes — Dôme épais from Lakmé
5. Verdi — Va pensiero from Nabucco
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
Playing my first concert with the JSO.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. Uh-Oh: some observations from both sides of the refrigerator door by Robert Fulgum
2. The art of possibility by Benjamin Zander
3. Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaardner
4. Man’s search for meaning by Victor Frankl
5. Mafeking Road by Herman Charles Bosman
• “You’ll never know what others has gone through, until you put yourself in their shoe. That would be the time you’ll get to understand them.” — Tems Lerio
• “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” — Viktor Frankl
• “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
• “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” — Aristotle
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Prestige
2. Les Miserable
3. Immortal Beloved
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
I don’t own a television — I think it’s a waste of precious time.
Pasta, pizza and my Mom’s food.
Coffee and red wine.
How do you relax?
Read, watch movies and play with my two dogs, Bella and Trixie.
Married to Dirk Francis, for a year and 8 months now.
Which places would you still like to visit?
I would like to see the Victoria Falls. I’ve been to Rome and Paris, but would love to explore those countries more.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
• In my final year we had a “Kitch Day” at the Conservatory. We dressed up in a “kitch” way and even had a concert with some lame music items.
• Discussions I had with Prof Piet Koornhof during my violin lessons.
• Practise sessions at night in the Conserve.