Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Flute, piano, music theory, accompanying.
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Notable professional achievements:
Final flute recital at the NWU School of Music.
Current professional position / occupation:
Music teacher in Melkbosstrand, Cape Town.
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Karl Jenkins — Palladio
2. Karl Jenkins — Agnus Dei
3. JS Bach — Suites for solo cello
4. J Rutter — Suite Antique for flute and piano
5. Mumford & Sons
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
• I had the opportunity to receive excellent music education and performance classes from Mr George Fazakas (flute) and Dr Truida vd Walt (piano).
• Being part of music productions such as the Johannes Kerkorrel production and Mozart’s Cosi fan Tutte.
• Receiving flute masterclasses from Italian flutist, Raffaele Trevisani, South African flutist, Marlene Verwey, and Hansgeorg Schmeiser.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
2. Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks
3. This is your brain on music by Daniel J Levitin
4. Music, the brain and ecstasy by Robert Jourdain
5. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
• “Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.” — Ludwig van Beethoven
• “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — George Bernard Shaw
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Hobbit
3. The Pianist
4. August Rush
5. Soul Surfer
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
Leverage, Suits and White Collar.
Infused water, dry red wine (pinotage/merlot/shiraz).
How do you relax?
Reading, listening to music, walking on the beach, and jogging.
Which places would you still like to visit?
There are so many! Austria, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and New York.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
The funniest moment would definitely be our first-year child-friendly music production, and my fondest memory would be everything that I have learned as a music student, wonderful musicians that I have met from all around the world, the opportunity to première works of Prof Hannes Taljaard, and long-lasting relationships that formed during my formal education.