Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Singing, music theory and arts management
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
University Diploma in Music
BA Music & Society
Moderation and Assessment Certificate
Postgraduate Certificate in Education
Project Management (NQF 5)
Qualifications completed elsewhere:
Grade 5 music theory (Unisa)
Notable professional achievements:
Golden Key Honorary Society
Singing overseas (USA, Italy, Austria and Slovenia)
Current professional position / occupation:
Financial Officer at PUK Arts (NWU).
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Robert Schumann — Dichterliebe, Op. 48
2. FJ Haydn — Symphony No. 45 on f-sharp minor “Farewell”
3. Giuseppe Verdi — Messa da Requiem
4. GF Händel — The Trimuph of Time and Truth
5. Antonio Vivaldi — The Four Seasons
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
A performance in Austria in the La guitarra esencial festival with Julia Malischnig in a production titled “Austria meets Africa”. It was a collaboration between Julia Malischnig and the Boulevard Harmonists.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. A Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
2. Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill
3. It’s not how good you are, it’s how good you want to be by Paul Arden
4. Power Performance for Singers: Transcending the Barriers by Shirlee Emmons and Alma Thomas
5. The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau
• “There is no passion to be found playing small — in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” ~ Nelson Mandela
• “Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.” ~ Confucius
• “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ~ Confucius
• “Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting.” ~ Napoleon Hill
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. To Rome with Love
2. Son of God
3. The Great Gatsby
5. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
Grey’s Anatomy, Isibaya and Rockville.
Rice, 3-bean salad, sweet potato, baked potato, lamb shank and beef stew.
Beer, dry red wine and Sparletta pine nut.
How do you relax?
Listening to a playlist of my favourite classical music, watching movies/series all day with my fiancé, reading philosophy books (mostly about “man and society” or “interdependency amongst humans”), and spending some quality time with friends or family.
My fiancé, Lesego Molale, is currently studying towards a PhD in Environmental Science (NWU).
Which places would you still like to visit?
Puerto Rico, London (to see the shard), Brazil (Mount Roraima) and Japan.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
During my first year concert, wearing a gold and grey outfit. That is where my career started and I will forever cherish that moment.