Instrument(s) / Discipline(s):
Period of study at the NWU School of Music / PU for CHE Department of Music:
Qualifications completed at the NWU / PU for CHE:
Current professional position / occupation:
Vocal Coach and Music Educator at Potchefstroom Gimnasium Music Centre (since 2008).
Top 5 must-hear music:
1. Max Bruch — Violin Concerto No. 1 in g minor, Op. 26: 1st movement
2. Anything by Pentatonix
3. Hozier — Take me to church
4. Joni Mitchell— Both sides now
5. Barbra Streisand — Send in the clowns
Which personal music experiences are most memorable to you?
When we (all the opera students at the time) did The Marriage of Figaro in 2006. And the master classes we had with Albie van Schalkwyk and Kobie van Rensburg.
Top 5 must-read books:
1. All the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling
2. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
3. The old man and the sea by Ernest Hemingway
4. The Alchemist by Paul Coelho
5. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
• “Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live.” — Charles Bukowski
• “I don’t like to commit myself about heaven and hell — you see, I have friends in both places.” — Mark Twain
Top 5 must-see movies:
1. The Red Violin
3. Dead Poets’ Society
4. Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close
5. The secret life of Walter Mitty
Which television show(s) can you watch over and over again?
House, Grey’s Anatomy, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones.
Coffee, soda water.
How do you relax?
Husband Chris Pieterse.
Which places would you still like to visit?
Italy, Greece, Dubai, Russia.
What are your funniest / fondest memories of your time at the Conservatory?
Fondest memories: Time spent with friends, everything Prof Nel taught me, Juf Dirkie’s classes, listening to music in the bib …
Funniest memories: All the times we went to the Konserve very early in the mornings to practise for aural exams … and the minute we stepped through the “draaihek”, the alarms would go off!!! Sorry about that!!!